Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Talkin bout sequels again

I was cruising my regular slew of technology and video game websites, and saw a lot of links regarding upcoming big name sequels, the foremost on that list being Dragon Age 2.  But that is one I seriously will probably never pick up.
I can't remember if I've talked about it, but I fucking hate Dragon Age: Origins, because the game is entirely too repetitive, and just overall boring as shit.  Once you hit a certain point in the game, you can kill damn near any encounter using the general tactic of casting tempest, blizzard, a cloud of death with Morrigan and just standing in the middle of it while you rape anything inside it.  The counter point to that, is times when shit happens, like at the end of the game, when you kill 30 monsters, and then all of a sudden 20 more enemies pop up and get chain criticals on you.  Whatever, I stopped playing it because it was fucking stupid.

The game was poorly balanced, it looked REALLY bad, and the only way to actually play it so that it was somewhat enjoyable was to cheat to get gold so you could buy basic items you needed to play the game, like items necessary for healing.  Buy one weapon though and pretty much all of your money is gone. 

Suffice to say, I'm probably going to ignore the second game, and likely anything else from BioWare, because in my opinion, they haven't made a good game since the console versions of Baldur's Gate 2.

The other sequels to talk about are Resistance 3 and InFamous 2.

Starting with Resistance, there is a new trailer out that looks like Left 4 Dead meets Cloverfield.  I've never played Left 4 Dead, but Cloverfield sucked balls, so its not looking good from my point of view.

That commentary aside, serious business, I really enjoyed the first Resistance, because the game was fun, and the Co-op is REALLY fun.  It took my brother and I probably 3 times the time it took me to beat the game alone on the highest difficulty, because it was a constant battle between us to find the explosive barrels before the other to surprise kill the other.  It was fun, because the game was really gracious with the checkpoints.  That's what makes Co-op excellent.

The second game took all that and fucked it in the ass.  Rather than just being "Resistance 2," it tried more to be some horrible version of Call of Duty or some shit, introducing classes, and class abilities, and completely destroying the Co-op aspect of the first.  Sure, it was there, but it was really bad.  I would have returned the game, but you know game retailers and their "we cannot give refunds because we have to assume everyone is a pirate and that you made a copy of this disc and are now using a bootleg version of the game."

Fuck you guys.


Sadly, I don't entirely remember what happened as the story unfolded in Resistance 2.  I know I beat it, but it was one of those situations where I made myself beat the game on principle.  Then immediately got in the car and sold it and picked up InFamous.

I'll say it again:  If you have not played InFamous, you need to.  There is a new trailer out for the sequel, that, while it looks cool, doesn't really do much else.  Which I don't know what to make of that.  The first game was great, and I'm really excited about the second one, but I was also really excited about Devil May Cry 2 (and DMC3, for that matter, but I hated that game for an entirely different reason).

The thing that is irritating me is that there hasn't been any INFORMATION released about InFamous 2.  Everything I have seen for it has focused on 1 of 3 things:  Cole's new weapon; His new lightning tornado thing; or how they fubar'd his look in this game and are now fixing it because they realized how bad it was.

None of that tells me anything about the game though.  I need information, bitches.  Get that shit out.

No comments:

Post a Comment